For lifeguarding information and other certifications, visit our safety training page.
All aquatic classes take place at the RPAC Aquatic Center. The state-of-the-art instructional pool has an adjustable depth so that even the tiniest of tots can stand on the bottom. All lessons are taught in the same area for the convenience of parents with more than one child. The current program schedule is posted to the right.
Learn-to-Swim Group Lessons
Community programs offers swim lessons for 6 month olds through adults. Learn-to-Swim teaches skills in a logical progression, allowing participants to swim and play safely in and around the water.
The Learn-to-Swim Program provides an increased emphasis in the areas of drowning prevention and water safety and an inclusive approach to swimming and water safety through the American Red Cross. Please review the course selection guide carefully to choose the correct placement for your child. For questions, contact us.
Group Lesson Fees
Lessons include six, 30-45 minute sessions.
School Year Cost: $45 per person; $60 for non-members
Summer Cost: $60 per person; $80 for non-members
Class Instructional Levels
Please use the following descriptions and the course selection guide, to help determine appropriate class placements. Instructors reserve the right to change the placement of a participant to provide the best possible learning environment.
Programs with one or two participants will be treated as a private or semi-private lesson and will last 30 minutes. Additional charges for private instruction will not be administered.
- Parent-Child Level A: For children 6 months to 2 years old who have little or no previous experience.
- Parent-Child Level B: For children 18 months - 3 years old with two or more previous sessions in the water. Children will require flotation support at all times, and parental presence and support in the water. Parents interested in signing up their child for preschool aquatics during the next session will be transitioned from parental presence to an instructor-led class without parental presence in the water. This is to encourage independence in the water required for preschool aquatics and will give parents an idea on if their child is ready for preschool aquatics or not. Parents and instructors will work together to determine the timeline best for each child if this transition is needed.
- Preschool Aquatics Level 1: For children ages 3-5 who are comfortable in a structured class setting away from their parents. This class orients preschool-age children to the aquatic environment and helps them acquire rudimentary levels of basic aquatic skills.
- Preschool Aquatics Level 2: For children ages 3-5 that have demonstrated the completion of requirements in Preschool Aquatics Level 1.
- Preschool Aquatics Level 3: For children ages 3-5 that have demonstrated the completion of requirements in Preschool Aquatics Level 2. Children that pass this level will move to Learn-to-Swim Level 3.
- Learn-to-Swim Level 1: For children age 6 and older. This class introduces water skills that help students feel comfortable while enjoying water safely.
- Learn-to-Swim Level 2: For participants who have demonstrated the completion requirements in Learn-to-Swim Level 1. This class teaches fundamental aquatic skills and builds on the skills learned in Learn-to-Swim Level 1.
- Learn-to-Swim Level 3: For participants who have demonstrated the completion requirements in Learn-to-Swim Level 2 or Preschool Aquatics Level 3. This class teaches stroke development and builds on the skills in Learn-to-Swim Level 2 and Preschool Aquatics Level 3 by providing additional guided practice.
- Learn-to-Swim Level 4: For participants who have demonstrated the completion requirements in Learn-to-Swim Level 3. This class teaches stroke improvement and builds on the skills in Learn-to-Swim Level 3 while developing confidence.
- Learn-to-Swim Level 5: For participants who have demonstrated the completion requirements in Learn-to-Swim Level 4. Teaches stroke refinement and provides further aquatic coordination while building on the skills of Learn-to-Swim Level 4.
- Learn-to-Swim Level 6: For participants who have demonstrated the completion requirements in Learn-to-Swim Level 5. This class teaches swimming and skill proficiency allowing students to swim with ease, efficiency, and power over greater distances.
- Adult Beginner: For adults who are new to the water. This class teaches swimming fundamentals, including water adjustment, flutter kicking, breathing coordination, arm action for the front crawl, and elementary backstroke.
- Adult Intermediate: For adults looking to coordinate the proper stroke techniques of front crawl and elementary backstroke. Backstroke, sidestroke, and breaststroke are also introduced.
- Adult Advanced: For adults who know stroke techniques, but want to hone their skills or pursue swimming as a fitness routine.
Private and Semi-Private Swimming Lessons
Private and semi-private swimming lessons are designed to meet the recreational or competitive needs for children or adults. Private lessons offer one-on-one instruction, while semi-private lessons include two students per instructor. Each private/semi-private lesson lasts 30 minutes.
Register for lessons online or in person Monday-Friday between the hours of 9 a.m. - 5 p.m. at the community programs office. Registration for semi-private lessons can only be done in person. Please view the "Private Swim Lesson Policies and Schedule" attachment in the upper-right hand corner for designated registration dates.
Fees: Six-Lesson Package: Member: $85; Non-Member: $115
Semi-Private Lessons, Six-Lesson Package for Two People: Member: $130; Non-Member: $180
Ohio State Swim and Diving Club
If your child is interested in taking their swimming or diving to the next level, look to the Ohio State Diving Club and Ohio State Swim Club. These groups offer elementary through college-age students the opportunity to develop their skills and compete. For more information, visit the Ohio State Club Diving Club and Ohio State Swim Club.
Aquatic Outreach Services
Our instructors can come to you to lead talks to youth and adult groups on general water safety, home pool safety, and swim lesson orientation. Additionally, we can conduct scout swim tests, and scout aquatic programs. Call (614) 688-8787 to make arrangements. The fee is $45 per hour, per instructor.