NRI | Mission Vision and Values
The mission of the National Research Institute for College Recreational Sports and Wellness (NRI) is to foster and facilitate interdisciplinary and collaborative research on college recreational sports and wellness, provide educational research and assessment support, and develop a culture of data-based decision making toward the end of optimizing college recreational sports and wellness endeavors.
The NRI provides services and guidance aimed at building research capacity and skills within areas concerned with college recreational sports and wellness, such as recreational sports departments, student wellness centers, student activities and other co-curricular learning initiatives. Through national involvement with external associations and conferences, the NRI aspires to make research practical and accessible to both practitioners and researchers concerned with college recreational sports and wellness.
As a result of this mission, the NRI will:
- Conduct vigorous research in accordance with research-based student wellness models.
- Provide consulting support for external organization assessment and research efforts related to college recreational sports and student wellness.
- Host nationally-based multi-site research studies, towards the end of contributing to the field of college recreational sports and student wellness.
- Become a resource for practitioners, researchers, and students interested in the field of college recreational sports and wellness towards the end of data-based decision making on a large scale.
- Communicate "best practices" to fields involved in college recreational sports and wellness through publications and various external organization outlets.
- Continue to provide outcomes-based assessment for major units within Student Life at The Ohio State University, specifically The Ohio Union and Recreational Sports.
The Research Institute values:
- Multi-disciplinary and multi-center research.
- Building and sustaining relationships with units on and off campus.
- Expand the field of research within college recreational sports and wellness through project development, presentations, and publications.
- Promote the field of college recreational sports and wellness through the use of a research-based wellness model.
- Conduct culturally sensitive research in such a way that promotes meeting the needs of an ever-changing college student group.
- Utilize cutting-edge technology and creative thinking to meet the ever-changing needs of higher education and participants.