Recreational Sports and COVID-19
Welcome to Student Life Recreational Sports!
In addition to all available federal, state, local and university guidelines, Student Life Recreational Sports will also follow the guidance of national sports governing bodies to ensure physical distancing practices and other safety protocols are in place. Additional information is available on the university's Safe and Healthy Buckeyes website.
Mask Update - August 2, 2021
Effective immediately, students, faculty, staff and visitors to all Ohio State campuses and medical facilities are required to wear masks indoors, regardless of their vaccination status. Masks continue to be required outdoors for unvaccinated individuals when they cannot maintain physical distancing. Vaccinated people are not required to mask outdoors. More information can be found on the Safe and Health Buckeyes website.
Daily Health Check Update - June 30, 2021
Effective immediately, Ohio State students, faculty and staff are no longer required to complete the daily health check when coming to our campuses. This health check, which is available through the Ohio State app and compass.osu.edu, has been a valuable tool that is no longer needed given the availability vaccines and other public health measures. Members do not need to show the daily health check before swiping in to the facilities.
Masks and Operations Update - June 10, 2021
For fully vaccinated people, masks are no longer required on Ohio State’s campuses including in the recreation centers. Mask are required in Wexner Medical Center facilities and on public transportation – in accordance with public health guidelines. Fully vaccinated individuals are also no longer required to physically distance. Individuals who are not vaccinated are required to continue wearing masks indoors and physically distancing at all times. Read more on the Personal Safety Practices page.
Mask remain available for those who wish to wear one in the recreation centers.
In the coming days and weeks our facilities will return to more traditional operations. Starting June 10 hoops are available for indoor basketball at the RPAC, saunas are available and reservations will no longer be required for family hours swim sessions. Additional equipment will be brought back and increased capacity in spaces.
Outdoor Recreation Update - May 28, 2021
In accordance with university guidance masks are no longer required when participating in outdoor activity on campus. Following this guidance, Rec Sports will be opening more outdoor activity spaces for recreation.
Beginning June 2, 2021 the following open rec spaces will be open:
- Outdoor basketball hoops at Lincoln Tower Park (northwest corner of the RPAC) will be open for play, including five vs. five
- Sand volleyball courts outside of the RPAC will have net up at all times
- North Beach sand volleyball court (located outside Curl Hall along Woodruff) nets will be up at all times
- Equipment rentals will be available at the Woman’s Field House for outdoor equipment
- Once the improvements are made at Lincoln Tower Park the soccer goals will go back out on to the field
RPAC Locker Room Shower Update - May 14, 2021
Starting May 24, showers will be available at the RPAC locker rooms for member use.
- Showers will be cleaned and sanitized regularly.
- Restrooms and locker rooms which have been utilized throughout the academic year will remain on the same disinfection schedule.
- Full towel service will remain unavailable, members must bring their own towel.
- Soap, shampoo, body wash and other convenience items are not provided, patrons must provide their own.
- The private changing rooms will be available during building hours. They will be cleaned 2-3 times per day and deep cleaned nightly.
Please review the following before beginning your workout. We ask that all members follow these guidelines while in our facilities:
Wash Your Hands
- Hand washing should take place often, including pre and post workout.
- Restrooms and hand sanitizer are available throughout the facility.
- Some equipment has been moved, ask our staff if you can’t find your favorite piece.
- Wipes and/or spray bottles are available. Please clean your equipment before and after each use.
- Our staff will be cleaning on increased intervals.
- Equipment checkout is not available. Please bring your own equipment (balls, locks, towels, etc.).
Modified Activities and Limitations
- Some activities and spaces may not be available.
- Please see the Student Life Return to Campus Plan for more details about available activities.
Contactless Transactions Available
- Credit, debit or BuckID payments are accepted for reduced contact payment options.
- Memberships may be renewed online.
If you have had COVID -19 (Coronavirus) it is important to know:
As we learn more about the immediate and lasting effects of COVID-19, we will continue to update guidance to our campus community. We are advising those who have tested positive or been otherwise diagnosed with COVID-19 to avoid high-intensity exercise for a minimum of six weeks, potentially longer, and should be determined in consultation with your physician or healthcare professional. We also recommend that before resuming strenuous activity, those recovering from COVID-19 should be cleared by their physician or other health care professional before re-starting high-intensity exercise. Myocarditis is a heart muscle inflammation that affects some who have been infected with COVID-19. High-intensity exercise with myocarditis can increase risk for heart rhythm problems.
If you have heart symptoms such as chest pain, shortness of breath, abnormal heartbeats, near passing out or passing out, please seek medical help.
Please depart the facility after you have completed your workout to help support occupancy levels and access for all members. We appreciate your cooperation and assistance. If you have feedback please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.