Student Life Recreational Sports student staff are foundational to the department’s mission, operations and organizational culture. We value and celebrate every student’s contributions to our community through their unique backgrounds, identities and experiences. Students work in a role that is complimentary to their academic learning and provide practical applications to their future careers. As a Rec Sports employee, students can expect to:
- Make connections between their employment role and classroom learning.
- Contribute to a culture that creates accessible, active and civic-minded experiences.
- Engage in training and experiences from peers and professionals in order to effectively carry out their role.
- Learn through mentorship, leadership and peer supervision opportunities.
- Earn more than a paycheck through the development of important transferable skills and experiences.
Rec Sports staff members are an integral part of the Student Life Rec Sports team committed to a vision as leaders in developing lives of balance, physical activity and well-being. We do our work by celebrating our proud and progressive heritage, delivering extraordinary experiences, while advancing and advocating for lifelong movement on an active healthy campus. We believe in our shared pursuit of inspiring a culture of `lives in motion’ one Buckeye at a time.
To apply for a student staff position, please complete the following steps:
- Log in through Workday.
- Once logged in, you will need to search for jobs by click on the ‘Career’ application.
- Then select ‘Search Student Jobs.’
- You may browse all available positions across the university or narrow the selection using filters or search terms to find a position in recreation.
- PLEASE NOTE: Only positions that are currently hiring will appear on Workday. You can find a list of additional positions below and their job descriptions attached on this page. While they may not be available right now, please check back later in the year.
Current Positions Available, apply on Workday:
Outdoor Facility Management – Student Facility Assistant Apply Here
The Student Facility Assistant's goals are to provide a clean, safe, and enjoyable atmosphere for all patrons who utilize the parks and outdoor facilities. Must be detail oriented, proactive, comfortable solving problems/member issues in a professional manner. FA’s would work shifts at: Fred Beekman Park, Lincoln Tower Park/Women’s Field House, or as part of the Work Crew (field painting, infield dragging, etc). Some night and weekend hours may be required. Responsibilities include (but not limited to):
- Providing extraordinary customer service
- Supervise park operations
- Enforce park policies
- Monitor weather conditions/field conditions
- Check out sports equipment
- Oversee scheduled events
- Respond to incidents and accidents
- Additional light maintenance tasks as needed
The following positions are available at times throughout the school year:
Adventure Recreation Center Facility Assistant
Aquatics: Pool Operator, Lifeguard, Event Technician
Community Programs: Camp Recky Counselor
Fitness: Fitness Room Monitors
Jesse Owens Recreation Centers (North and South) and North Recreation Center Facility Assistants Job
Marketing (Positions are under Office of Student Life Marketing)
Member Services Associate
Office of the Director Desk Assistant
Outdoor Adventure Center Climbing Instructor
Outdoor Facilities Assistant (Fred Beekman Park, Coffey Road Park, Lincoln Tower Park, Jesse Owens West Tennis Center)
Outreach Programs: Rec Sports Ambassadors
Recreation Physical Activity Center Facility Operations Assistant
Recreation Physical Activity Center Special Events Work Crew
Student Fiscal Officer